Structure and Function of Organisms
Lab 9: Dominance Behavior of Gryllus domesticus
1. What is the common name of the organism that will be the subject of your observations? ____________________
2. Social ranking in a population or group of organisms of the same species is called a _________________ _________________.
3. Evaluations of a competitor’s strength is typically made through observations of ritualized _______________ and ___________________.
4. Insects are ____________ since their body temperature is similar to that of their environment.
5. The three parts of an insect leg are the ________, __________, and __________.
6. You will mark your experimental subject on their ____________ with correction fluid.
7. Males may ______________ by rubbing their wings to call or sing.
8. If one insect convinces another to leave his position, he has ____________ a potential competitor.
9. A small packet of sperm from the male Gryllus domesticus is called a ______________
10. The two objects or _________ project from the posterior of the abdomen of Gryllus domesticus.
11. Female Gryllus domesticus are easily identified because they have a long __________________.
12. Variables that are only measured or registered are ________________ variables.
13. Variables that manipulated in the experiment are ________________ variables.
14. Live Gryllus domesticus will be immobilized for observation under the dissecting scope by placing them in a Petri dish lined with ________.
15. Your experiments should be designed in such a manner that one _____________ result will occur if your hypothesis is supported and another result if your hypothesis is false.